Area – 20 x 15 (Two 10 x 15 areas)
3v3 with 1 or 2 target players outside the area. The coach has all the soccer balls.
1. The 3 players must stay in their 10x15 zone.
2. The coach serves in a ball.
3. The objective of the exercise is for the players in possession to pass to any of the target players. The ‘back three’ move as a unit to block the passes.
4. If a pass is blocked the game continues. If a pass is made to the target players they pass the ball to the opposite team for them to continue. Keep the score.
5. Change target players with defenders.
Team-work and communication
Positional sense, angles, the balance of the three players.
To encourage teamwork.
Improve communication, angles of support, and reactions.
This exercise instills togetherness. It gives players the belief, that working as a unit can be difficult for the opposition.
Improve the reactions in the transition, A>D, D>A.
Play 3v1 in each zone. This is a lot harder to find the target player, keep the ball and beat the defensive block.
Possible Performance Problems:
On the transition. If the defending team wins the ball, the opponent is out of balance. They must react quickly and set a defensive block.
Players treat it as a possession exercise. Encourage them to keep trying to find the target. Remember, you are working on the defenders.
Be ready to focus - Make decisions
Keep scanning the area and visualize playing in a game.
Accept mistakes - Find solutions
Coach your teammates
Applaud good play
Be willing to move
Work at game speed
Keep working and believing
Move as a unit
Body shape - Defensive stance
Angles and distance
Target players, look for gaps